Magnesium Protects Against Stroke, Heart Disease and Diabetes
You are probably familiar with the most of the vitamins and minerals which are vital to the overall health, such as vitamin C, calcium, and iron. However, many minerals and their importance are often neglected, including magnesium.
But, magnesium in particular provides a wide plethora of health benefits can strengthen your body, alleviate your fatigue, and even boost your mood. Here are the top 6 incredible health benefits of magnesium you can reap by eating the right kind of foods.
1. High Blood Pressure Regulation
Whether high blood pressure or heart disease runs in the family or you want to ensure that you keep your blood pressure stable, adding magnesium to your daily diet is an effective and natural way to avoid any problems and suffering the ill effects of high blood pressure.
2. Migraine Headaches
Do you suffer from migraine attacks? If yes, you have probably tried anything you have heard about already. But, did you know that something as simple as magnesium is the key to treating migraines effectively? Many researchers advise migraine sufferers to try to use magnesium as a cure.
3. Depression and Other Mood Problems
Although lack of magnesium in the body hasn’t been shown as the cause of depression, countless people have reported that utilizing magnesium improved their state of mind and boosted their mood. Issues like anxiety have been also found to be effectively treated by magnesium.
Although seeking help from a professional is the best option when feeling depressed, boosting your magnesium levels is also a good idea.
4. Bone Health
Bone health is of utmost importance for everyone, but particularly for women as they grow older. Magnesium, more than half of which is stored in the bones, works in synergy with calcium and vitamin D to promote stronger and healthier bones.
In addition, having enough magnesium in the body also protects from various bone-related issues, such as osteoporosis and similar conditions.
5. Diabetes and Cardiovascular Disease
Magnesium deficiency is associated with insulin resistance, when then leads to problems like increased risk of diabetes and cardiovascular disease. Keeping your magnesium levels stable helps prevent these issues, while keeping blood sugar levels in check.
6. Cancer Reduction
It has been scientifically shown that increasing the amounts of magnesium in your body reduces the risk of colorectal cancer for up to 13%. Whether cancer runs in the family or you are at higher risk of developing it, boosting your magnesium intake is a good idea.
Additional Benefits Of Magnesium Supplementation
- Boosts energy levels
- Calms the nerves and promotes relaxation
- Induces sleep and treats insomnia
- Relieves constipation
- Relieves muscle pain and spasms
Types Of Magnesium Supplements
- Magnesium Chelate: highly absorbable and found in foods naturally
- Magnesium Citrate: used to treat constipation and improve digestion. It may have a laxative effect if taken in excess
- Magnesium Chloride Oil: mostly used by athletes to boost energy, heal wounds, and relieve muscle pain
- Magnesium Glycinate: highly absorbable form of magnesium which is recommended for those who are deficient in it
- Magnesium Threonate : has a high level of absorbability
Magnesium Orotate: these supplements have orotic acid which is beneficial for the heart