20 Quotes From Socrates That Are Full Of Wisdom
One of the greatest and most famous Greek philosophers, Socrates is considered the first moral philosopher and one of the founders of Western philosophy. Since he didn’t write down any of his work and teachings, the philosopher remains an enigmatic figure, known only from the writings of his students.
Here are 20 quotes from Socrates that are full of wisdom.
1. We cannot live better than in seeking to become better.
2. Be as you wish to seem.
3. The greatest way to live with honour in this world is to be what we pretend to be.
4. The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.
5. Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.
6. Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
7. The unexamined life is not worth living.
8. The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms.
9. The easiest and noblest way is not to be crushing others, but to be improving yourselves.
10. There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.
11. He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.
12. Strong minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, weak minds discuss people.
13. The mind is everything; what you think you become
14. To find yourself, think for yourself.
15. By all means marry; if you get a good wife, you’ll become happy; if you get a bad one, you’ll become a philosopher.
16. He who is not contented with what he has, would not be contented with what he would like to have.
17. There is no solution; seek it lovingly.
18. Sometimes you put walls up not to keep people out, but to see who cares enough to break them down.
19. Living well and beautifully and justly are all one thing.
20. Be slow to fall into friendship, but when you are in, continue firm and constant.